Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Lara on DC's Particular Fashion Style


“I’m from Miami Beach, I just graduated from Tufts and moved to DC three months ago. I just got a job working for Annie Creamchease, which is a DC vintage shop. It’s really great stuff, really cute. It is one of the few places here that let people have style.

"When you walk around DC you will notice that everyone here is on a mission. They are wearing suits, they are wearing ties, they are wearing heels and they are not going to parties, they are going to work and they are completely like, conservatively dressed to go to work, dressed for desk jobs, trying to be really professional. It is hard coming from a place where I can wear a bathing suit and a cover up and walk into a bank and there is no problem. So, DC is definitely a different feel from Miami, but people are much more friendly. The style here is very particular – New England meets southern comfort. I don’t know, I am sure that people here get dressed in the morning and they put thought into the outfits, but not in a fashion forward way.

"When I walk around, it occurs to me that I feel under dressed. The other day I was walking around downtown in a flowy white sundress and people looked at me like I was a martian. They were in their suits wondering who is this person and what is she doing...she is certainly not working. Its an interesting attitude that is definitely felt throughout the city."

Read more about style in DC at Project Beltway.

No comments: