Thursday, October 8, 2009

Sonny on DC B-Boys


“I started breakdancing around 1989. My crew is called the Lion’s of Zion. We've been on the scene for 17 or 18 years. We taught a lot of kids in the area. Some of them are now competing all over the world. Our squad introduced a whole new breaking style to the East Coast. It’s a DC-specific style, I would call it the LOZ style. If you go anywhere on the East or West coast and mention the Lion's of Zion crew, people will recognize DC.

“To be in the LOZ, you have to be the best of the best. You need your own style and be the best at what you do. Here, people call me Ghost because I am the original battle cat. That’s my nickname. When I step up to battle, people pretty much get scared. I can take different forms. I have every breakdancing style possible.

“I am now of the older generation. I’m 33, but I still rock it hard. There is a newer generation coming up in DC, and I am doing my part to train them and keep DC on the map for B-Boys.”

See Sonny, the Lion's of Zion and other DC B-Boys and B-Girls on Thursdays at Modern. And, check out the Lion's of Zion's D-Moe and Domkey winning this year's Crafty Bastards B-Boy Battle here.



No comments: